Sunday, February 12, 2017

Welcome to the Snow Lilies!

The first signs of spring are upon us, and peeking out of the ground is solid proof. They're a little late coming up this year, but I say better late than never. Usually, by the middle of January, those sweet and lovely little snow lilies (or snow drops) poke up through the snow. This year, they cheerfully announced themselves the first week of February. Have a look.

Seeing these delightful little flowers absolutely warms my heart. They are such a welcome sight. I planted them along the entire length of the west side of the house.

Readers must know that it has been one of the worst winters ever, since arriving in Vancouver, B.C. in 2003. We were deluged with about two feet of snow at one point, and right now there is about a foot of the white stuff remaining. Yes, I realize that prairie folk laugh at us, but you must remember that you live on flat land and we live on mountainous terrain. I know what it's like to drive in the prairies: You drive on the snow there. Here, it freezes and thaws and freezes again, creating ice — so we must drive with caution on ice — not snow. Additionally, many people here don't know how to drive in the ice or snow. Another thing: many people here don't use snow tires in the winter. One last thing: some people with four-wheel drive vehicles think their vehicle knows what to do in the snow. Unfortunately, some of those folks learn the hard way that their vehicles don't really have their own intelligence. Oops, I digress.

Thankfully, the temperatures have warmed and the snow is currently melting. On the days that it rains, the rate of melting nearly doubles, it seems. These little flowers are planted right beside our home, on the side of the house with no snow, so they have a lovely and warm location. They also get some of the most welcome afternoon sun.

I love how prolific snow lilies are. They appear to double in number each year. The other thing I love about them is once they are finished growing and blooming for the year, they sleep till the next spring while other bulbs pop up all around them. In this same flower bed I grow crocus, daffodils, and tulips.  Then, when the bulbs are finished, up pop the white alyssums and the pink snap dragons, which bloom happily till freeze-up. I wonder if the flowers know how much they are appreciated. I wonder if they know how much joy and pleasure they bring to my life each year. I suspect they do!

Throughout the winter, I have been making a point of getting outside every day and going for a walk around the neighborhood. Some days, we take a drive to Central Park or Deer Lake Park and stroll there. We enjoy watching the geese, the loons, and other wild life. Once we were gifted with a preening Great Blue Heron! If the sun is out, the walk is especially enjoyable because the sun is such a welcome sight. I also take daily drops of Vitamin D with K2, on my Naturopathic Doctor's advice. He says these are important for continued bone health.

I'm looking forward to the summer. Last year I planted a group of another kind of lily that I dearly love: the Lily of the Valley. They bloom later in the season, but I'm eager to see them thrive this year. I used to have those little lovelies once upon a time when I lived in Lethbridge.

I still want to make room somewhere in my yard for Purple Lilacs. Those are among my many favorite flowers.

Back to the appearance of the snow lilies. When I see their lovely little faces, I know I have safely survived another winter. Yes, I find winters kind of challenging.




Visit website "Phoenix of Faith" the memoir. Follow on Twitter: _Phoenixoffaith Copyright © 2017. Permission is granted to copy and re-distribute this transmission on the condition that it is distributed freely.




1 comment:

  1. I love snow lillies too, the sure sign that spring is just around the corner. Yay!

    ReplyDelete